- Corporate body
When the Glasgow School of Cookery was amalgamating with the West End School of Cookery to become one institution, it was decided to set up an Association in order to resolve disputes about representation on the new Board of Governors. A meeting was held on 19 December 1907 to launch the new Association and adopt the Articles of Association which had been framed by the two schools and approved by the Scotch Education Department. The Association was named The Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science and was incorporated under the Companies Acts 1862 to 1900 as an Association limited by Guarantee.
The Association was formed of up to 500 subscribed members, who were responsible for the election of a governing body. Initially there were 247 subscribers who paid the fee of £1: 1s to become registered members of the Association. The Memorandum and Articles of Association cite Dr P Rottenburg, Mr T F Donald, Mr G B Hoggan, Miss I Gray, Mrs M Cowan, Miss E Donnal, Miss A McCall Anderson, Mr A C Scott and Mr H Carvick Webster as witnesses on 14 May 1908. Interested potential members were required to write a letter of application and pay the membership fee. New members were read out at the Governors’ meetings for approval. By 1975 the membership fee was £1.05 and by 1980 a membership application form had to be completed with payment of the fee. These applications were considered at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) when current members would elect the new members.
The business of the Association was managed by a Governing Body. Ordinary (or Annual) General Meetings of the Association were held once a year when the Treasurer’s Accounts and Report of the Governing Body were presented to the members. Elections were held to select Governors to replace those at the end of their rotation, re-elect the Auditor and approve new members. Any other important business relating to the College was also dealt with at the meeting. The Chairman of the Governors presided as chair at the meetings of the Association. The AGM was held in December/January until 1962 when it moved to April/May. Extraordinary General Meetings could be called at any time when the Association was required to make decisions on major issues concerning the College. The Secretary and Treasurer of the College was responsible for the administration of the Association.
The Association had a Common Seal which was used on official documents. These also had to be signed by the College Secretary and at least two of the Governors on behalf of the Association.