Showing 128 results

names
Corporate body

Queen’s College, Glasgow | Academic Council | 1973-1993

  • C0116
  • Corporate body
  • 1973-1993

The Academic Council was constituted according to the terms of the Central Institutions (Scotland) Regulations (1972). The function of the Academic Council related to the overall planning, coordination, development and supervision of the academic work of the College subject to the general control and direction of the Governing Body. The Academic Council met for the first time on 20 February 1973.

Originally membership consisted of: Principal (Chairman of the Council); Vice-Principal; Librarian; Heads and Associate Heads of Departments six members elected from full-time academic staff, four co-opted members including two students (nominated by the Student Representative Council) and another student as an observer. Elected and co-opted members served for four years and were eligible for re-election on expiry of their term of office. Elections took place in January of the year where an election fell, with the first in January 1979.

The Council usually met on a monthly basis during term time with extraordinary meetings being called to deal with particular items of business. The Chairman of the Council, in consultation with the Clerk to the Council, was responsible for drawing up the Agenda for a meeting, ensuring that all competent business was included, and that members were notified. The Chairman also had to verify the accuracy of the minutes, to sign them, and ensure that they were kept.

The Academic Council appointed a number of Standing Committees including:
-Research and Staff Development Committee
-Course Committees
-Course Development, Validating and Monitoring Committee
-Assessment Boards
Some of these committees had the power to set up sub-committees. Each committee was responsible to the Academic Council for its work and the minutes of their meeting were presented to the Academic Council for review.

There were also Advisory Committees which had no executive responsibilities but provided advice to the Academic Council and senior management. The Advisory Committees included:
-Senior Management Advisory Group
-Learning Resources Advisory Committee
-Library Advisory Committee
-Staff/Student Affairs Committee
-Computer Users’ Committee

Following the introduction of the Central Institutions (Scotland) Regulations (1988) the Governing Body was required to set up a new Academic Council to sit from 1 April 1990 to reflect the new academic structure of the College. Membership of the new Academic Council would include: Principal; Vice-Principal; Head of Faculty, Health Studies; Head of Faculty: Management Studies; Chief Librarian; President of SRC; 4 elected teaching members of staff; co-opted members including the chairmen of the 3 major College Committees (Research and Staff Development; Academic and Professional Standards; and Central Services) and one non-teaching member of staff.

The Standing Committees and Advisory Committees also changed at this time to reflect the new academic structure and needs of the College. The standing committees included:
-Two Faculty Boards, of Health Studies and Management Studies (with subcommittees: Course Committees; Assessment Boards; Course Planning Committees; Course Review Committees)
-Academic and Professional Standards Committee (with subcommittees: Validation Panels; Credit Accumulation and Transfer)
-Research and Staff Development Committee (but with Funding Sub-committee and Research Degrees Committee).
The Advisory committees were:
-Appeals Review Committee
-Ethics Committee

Course Development, Validating and Monitoring Committee

The Course Development, Validating and Monitoring Committee (shortened to Course Development Committee in 1982) was responsible for encouraging the development of new courses, examining the feasibility of proposed courses and appointing a Course Planning Committee responsible for developing adopted courses. Each stage of course planning and validation had to be approved by the Committee and it was also responsible for monitoring progress of existing courses.

Membership was as follows: Principal; Vice-Principal; Secretary and Treasurer; Heads and Associate Heads of Departments; Senior Librarian; Senior lecturer, Learning Resources Centre; up to five other members elected from the academic staff, up to four members, with appropriate experience, from outwith the College; one student representative appointed by the Student Representative Council. The Academic Council elected the Chair of the Committee who would serve no longer than three years. Appointed members would serve for not more than two years but could be re-appointed without a break in service. Appointments were made in September unless a vacancy occurred.

Course Planning Committees

The Course Planning Committees were responsible for examining in detail and reporting on the feasibility of the proposed course in terms of likely student demand, employment, development and cultural opportunities and resources required. The committees drafted each stage of submissions for the Scottish Education Department and external validating bodies for approval by the Course Development, Validating and Monitoring Committee.

The membership of each Course Planning Committee was approved by the Course Development, Validating and Monitoring Committee. Expertise from outwith the College could be co-opted to the committee. Each committee would cease to function once the course was finally approved and in operation.

Course Committees

The Course Committees were responsible for advising the Course Leader on the organisation and administration of the course, keeping it under review during the period of approval, to make recommendations for changes in the course scheme and to produce a course handbook for the information of students and staff.

The membership of a Course Committee consisted of the members of the complementary Assessment Board, including the External Assessors, plus two students from each year of the course. The Course Leader, appointed by the Academic Council, would chair the committee, which would meet at least once each term.

Assessment Boards

Members of Assessment Boards for each course were appointed by the Academic Council and approved by the Course Development Committee. They were responsible for ensuring that the course assessment regulations, laid down by the Academic Council, were adhered to. They had to ensure that appropriate arrangements were made for examinations and assessments, review students’ performance and draw up results lists.

Research and Staff Development Committee

The Committee was responsible for reviewing the expertise of staff in light of any changes in the academic work of the college. It would make recommendations regarding staff development to the Academic Council to ensure the skillset would be able to meet future development plans. The committee would arrange appropriate in-service training and create an environment to encourage staff research and development activities. The Committee would advise on the development of research activities that were worthy of support by the College.

Membership was as follows: Principal; Vice-Principal; Secretary and Treasurer; Heads and Associate Heads of Departments; Senior Librarian; Senior Lecturer, Learning Resources Centre; up to five other members elected from the academic staff, up to two members, with appropriate experience, from outwith the College; one student representative appointed by the Student Representative Council. The Academic Council elected the Chair of the Committee who would serve no longer than three years. Appointed members would serve for not more than two years but could be re-appointed without a break in service. Appointments were made in September unless a vacancy occurred.

Senior Management Advisory Group

The Senior Management Advisory Group acted as an informal forum for the discussion of College matters and to advise the Principal.

Membership consisted of: Principal; Vice-Principal; Heads and Associate Heads of Departments; Senior Lecturer, Learning Resources Centre; Senior Librarian; Secretary and Treasurer; and other staff invited to meetings as appropriate.

Staff/ Student Affairs Advisory Committee

The Staff/ Student Affairs Advisory Committee acted as a forum for discussion of matters of interest, including: complaints and queries, reviewing induction procedures, compilation of student welfare guides. Meetings were held at least one per month.

Membership consisted of: 1 staff member from each Course Committee, serving no longer than three years; 1 student member from each Course Committee; President of the Student Representative Council (SRC); two members appointed by the SRC.

Library Advisory Committee

The Library Advisory Committee advised the Senior Librarian on matters of general library policy and operation, including; the selection of publications; implications for the library of new courses and changes in courses.

Membership consisted of: Principal; Vice-Principal; Secretary and Treasurer; Senior Librarian; Assistant Librarians (when appropriate); Senior Lecturer, Learning Resources Centre; one representative of each Head or Associate Head of Department; two students nominated by the Student Representative Council; persons from outwith the College may be co-opted for specific purposes.

Computer Users’ Committee

The Computer Users’ Committee would encourage staff and students to use the computing facilities for teaching, research and administrative purposes. It would make recommendations to the Research and Staff Development Committee on forward plans for staffing equipment and accommodation with estimates and costs and on matters relating to the College computing facilities.

Membership consisted of: Chairman (appointed by the Research and Staff Development Committee); Vice-Principal; two representatives nominated by each Head or Associate Head of Department; Senior Lecturer, Learning Resources Centre; Senior Librarian; two nominees of the Secretary and Treasurer; up to four co-opted members (including at least one student user).

Queen’s College, Glasgow | Course Development Committee | 1980-1990

  • C0117
  • Corporate body
  • 1980-1990

The Course Development, Validating and Monitoring Committee (shortened to Course Development Committee in 1982) was a Standing Committee of the Academic Council. It was responsible for encouraging the development of new courses, examining the feasibility of proposed courses and appointing a Course Planning Committee responsible for developing adopted courses. Each stage of course planning and validation had to be approved by the Committee and it was also responsible for monitoring progress of existing courses.

Membership was as follows: Principal; Vice-Principal; Secretary and Treasurer; Heads and Associate Heads of Departments; Senior Librarian; Senior lecturer, Learning Resources Centre; up to five other members elected from the academic staff, up to four members, with appropriate experience, from outwith the College; one student representative appointed by the Student Representative Council. The Academic Council elected the Chair of the Committee who would serve no longer than three years. Appointed members would serve for not more than two years but could be re-appointed without a break in service. Appointments were made in September unless a vacancy occurred.

Queen’s College, Glasgow | Central Academic Services Committee | 1983-1991

  • C0118
  • Corporate body
  • 1983-1991

The Central Academic Services Committee was set up by the Academic Council in September 1982, mainly as a response to comments made in the Institutional Review Report. It's role was to advise the Academic Council on policy issues related to the development of the Library, Learning Resources Centre, Computer Centre, non specialist teaching rooms and the Student Advisory Centre. It oversaw the work of the sub-committees and working groups relating to the services serving the academic sectors of the College.

It's members included the Principal; Vice-principal; Secretary and Treasurer; Director, Computer Centre; Senior Lecturer, Learning Resources Centre; Chief Librarian; Student Counsellor; four elected members of the academic staff; two representatives of the technical and administrative staff; two student members.

The sub-committees included:
-Library sub-committee
-Learning Resources sub-committee
-Computer Services sub-committee
The first meeting of the Committee was held on 15 February 1983.

Queen’s College, Glasgow | Research and Staff Development Committee |1980-1993

  • C0119
  • Corporate body
  • 1980-1993

The Research and Staff Development Committee was set up as a Standing Committee by the Academic Council in 1980. it was responsible for reviewing the expertise of staff in light of any changes in the academic work of the college. It would make recommendations regarding staff development to the Academic Council to ensure the skillset would be able to meet future development plans. The committee would arrange appropriate in-service training and create an environment to encourage staff research and development activities. The Committee would advise on the development of research activities that were worthy of support by the College.

Membership was as follows: Principal; Vice-Principal; Secretary and Treasurer; Heads and Associate Heads of Departments; Senior Librarian; Senior Lecturer, Learning Resources Centre; up to five other members elected from the academic staff, up to two members, with appropriate experience, from outwith the College; one student representative appointed by the Student Representative Council. The Academic Council elected the Chair of the Committee who would serve no longer than three years. Appointed members would serve for not more than two years but could be re-appointed without a break in service. Appointments were made in September unless a vacancy occurred.

Queen’s College, Glasgow | Academic and Professional Standards Committee | 1990-1993

  • C0120
  • Corporate body
  • 1990-1993

The Academic and Professional Standards Committee was formed following the introduction of the Central Institutions (Scotland) Regulations (1988) the Governing Body when the academic structure of the College was re-organised into faculties. It was responsible for the maintenance and enhancement of academic standards on courses being offered by the College and examining the feasibility of proposals for new courses in terms of academic content, physical resources and staffing. It oversaw the work of the Validation Panels and Credit Accumulation and Transfer Sub-committee and was responsible for monitoring the appointment of external assessors by the Faculties.
Membership included Principal; Vice-Principal; Deans of Faculty; Head of Quality Assurance Unit; 4 Course Leaders (2 nominated by each faculty); 4 Teaching staff (2 elected from each faculty); 1 representative of the Academic Council; 2 Student members appointed by the Student Representative Council; co-opted members as required.

Hill and Hoggan, Solicitors, Glasgow | early 18th century-1971

  • C0121
  • Corporate body
  • early 18th century-1971

Hill and Hoggan were solicitors in Glasgow from the early eighteenth century. Mr George B Hoggan, who was a Partner in the firm, acted as Secretary to the Glasgow School of Cookery from the time of its commencement in 1874. In 1908, when it amalgamated with the West End School of Cookery, to become the Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science (Incorporated), Mr Hoggan became a Governor of the College. From that time there was a succession of four Secretaries of the College, all of them partners in Hill and Hoggan:

Dr James A McCallum (d 1948), Secretary and Treasurer, 1908-1921; Joint Secretary and Treasurer, 1921-1928
Mr Andrew MacNair (d 1933), Joint Secretary and Treasurer, 1921-1928; Secretary and Treasurer, 1928-1933
Mr T L Grahame Reid (d 1969), Secretary and Treasurer, 1933-1969
Mr James D MacKenzie, Secretary and Treasurer, 1969-1972

Dr McCallum did a lot of work to raise the funds to build the new College premises in Park Drive and offered guidance in the move to the new building. He was dedicated to College affairs during his years of office. Due to illness, another partner, Andrew McNair was appointed as Joint Secretary, becoming sole Secretary when Dr McCallum resigned in December 1928. When Andrew McNair died in 1933 he was succeeded by TL Grahame Reid who died in 1969 and was replaced by James D Mackenzie.

Hill & Hoggan combined with the firm Mitchells Johnston and Company on 1 January 1972. The new firm of Mitchell Johnston Hill and Hoggan continued to administer the legal affairs of the College. On 1 January 1985 the firm merged with Mackenzie Roberton and Company to become Mitchells Roberton.

Open Aye | est 2010

  • C0122
  • Corporate body
  • 2010-

Open Aye was established by Becky Duncan as a social enterprise in 2010 and was given Community Interest Company status in 2017. Open Aye was established to produce photos and videos for third sector organisations across Scotland and for use in multi-media marketing. Its aim was to ensure accurate portrayals of issues, people and places, in order to tell engaging stories which could help positively influence social change. The key objective of Open Aye was to represent all, especially those who are often unheard, or mis-represented. Open Aye also runs participatory photo projects, or Social Action Research Projects, that act as either therapeutic programmes or issue based, advocacy projects.
Becky Duncan is a professional photographer, trained participatory facilitator and human rights enthusiast. She has an Honours degree in Film & Media / Documentary from Stirling University and a PDA in Professional Photography & Digital Imaging from Glasgow Metropolitan College. Becky worked for 7 years as a media strategist and planner on ad campaigns in London and Glasgow, working across big budget brands such as Guinness, Smirnoff, Louis Vuitton & Moet Hennessy, at Carat UK, London. In 2002 she moved away from doing commercial media strategy to more third sector based campaigns, at Feather Brooksbank Ltd, Edinburgh. She concentrated on charity and Scottish Governmental campaigns including Racism Awareness, Alcohol Awareness, Drugs Misuse Prevention, Organ Donation. In her time in advertising she was in the Drum magazine's "30 under 30", she was a finalist in the Fresh Young Media Person of the Year and previously she was part of a client / creative / media team which won a Marketing Society for Scotland Award for Excellence - Non Profit Sector, for their work on a charity. Becky Duncan had many years of experience of voluntary work within Glasgow, with refugee support organisations, resulting in extensive training in citizen analysis, communication strategies, humanitarian education, and assisting vulnerable groups. On becoming freelance, her first commission was from the Scottish Social Enterprise Coalition to document fourteen social enterprises across Scotland in 2009. Becky Duncan Photography Ltd was established in 2010 with Open Aye as a subdivision of the company, providing participatory projects. The two amalgamated and became Open Aye Ltd in 2016 and Open Aye C.I.C. in 2017, with Becky Duncan as Director and sole employee. The registered office address is Studio 228 The Briggait, 141 Bridgegate, Glasgow, Scotland.
Open Aye produced photos and videos for over 170 third sector clients in Scotland, between 2009-2019 and documented the social enterprise movement in Scotland. Issues covered have included diversity, housing, health & wellbeing, recovery, human rights, sectarianism, environmental stewardship and conservation. Advocacy campaigns have been used in the print & broadcast media, showcased within the Scottish Parliament and around local communities in museums, galleries, libraries, schools & shopping centres, including an exhibition of ‘10 years of social enterprise work’ at the Social Enterprise World Forum, Edinburgh, in 2018. Open Aye tackles a wide range of issues and topics through photography, including housing and homelessness, refugee issues, mental health, drugs recovery and LGBTQI ensuring that they are more appropriately represented in media communications and decision making processes.
Open Aye facilitates projects on behalf of charity partners, engaging with groups who do not often have a voice in traditional media. Participants are given cameras, skills, inspiration and a platform to tell their own stories and suggest solutions to a range of social issues. Open Aye works with specialist organisations to recruit participants and ensure they are supported on an on-going basis. Participatory project clients have included The British Red Cross, Scottish Natural Heritage, Shelter Scotland, Forestry Commission Scotland, Scottish Refugee Council, Aberlour Guardianship Service, Youthlink Scotland, Glasgow Association of Mental Health, Southside Housing Association, Govanhill Housing Association, Woodlands Trust, Healthy & Happy Development Trust, Central Scotland Green Network, Pavement Magazine, West of Scotland Regional Equality Council, Planning Aid for Scotland, and Photovoice. Teaching materials created by Open Aye participants have been used by Shelter Scotland to raise awareness on housing issues. The Simple Pleasures photo project for Scottish Natural Heritage resulted in a showcase at Glasgow’s Kelvingrove Museum. Awareness materials created by young refugees have gone on to be used across Europe as part of the British Red Cross’s Positive Images programme. Open Aye website.

Community Business Scotland Network Ltd

  • C0123
  • Corporate body
  • 1981-2015

Community Business Scotland (CBS) was founded in April 1981 and inaugurated on 10 July 1981 as a successor to the Scottish Community Enterprise Forum (SCEF). The SCEF Steering Group wanted to set up a new organisation to promote the interests of and support the growing community business movement in Scotland. CBS was incorporated in September 1987 to become Community Business Scotland Ltd and in August 1999 changed its name to Community Business Scotland Network Ltd (CBS Network Ltd). By that time it was operating as a national network for community enterprise, based in Scotland, but with members from all over the UK and abroad. CBSN closed in 2015.

CBS was a registered company, number SC106472. From 1981 – January 1984 it operated from the Scottish Council of Social Services (SCSS office) at 266 Clyde Street, Glasgow. On 1 Feb 1984 it moved to an office at 39 Vicar Street, Falkirk. From September 1986 to December 2002 it operated from Unit 34&45, West Calder Workspace, Society Place, West Calder EH55 8EA. CBSN then moved to Edinburgh and was based in the following premises: Princes House, 5 Shandwick Place, Edinburgh EH2 4RG (December 2002-May 2005); 45/47 Albany Street, Edinburgh EH1 3QY (May 2005-Dec 2007); The Melting Pot, Thorn House, 5 Rose Street, Edinburgh EH2 2PR (Dec 2007-2013).

CBS had six main objectives: to encourage and promote the formation of new community businesses; to offer support for community businesses to share ideas, experience skills and knowledge; to offer and arrange access to training opportunities for community businesses, to represent the interests of community enterprise with governing bodies, financial institutions, and other public agencies at local, national and European level; to promote the concept of community business to the public, media and community organisations; to seek financial resources and establish channels for the financing of community business.

Anyone could become a member on payment of a subscription and there were five categories of membership: corporate, provisional corporate, advisory agency, individual and associate. A Board of Management was elected by the members. The Board met every 2 months and office bearers, elected by the Board, met regularly to carry out the Board decisions. Office bearers included a Convenor, Vice Convenor, Treasurer and Secretary. Convenors were as follows: George Burt (1981-1984); Willy Roe (1984-1985); Grahame Robertson (1985-1986); John Pearce (1986-1989), Glen Buchanan (1989-1991); George Hood (1991-1994); Mike Walker (1994-1997); Alf Hannay (1997-2000). Other office bearers included John Anderson, Richard Bluer, Kay Caldwell, Andy Cleland, Alan Tuffs, and Felix Mulholland. After its incorporation in September 1987 an Annual General Meeting was held each autumn, during which a Board of Directors was elected. Funding for CBS was raised from grants, publication sales, donations, consultancy fees and membership subscriptions.

In 1981 CBS drew up comprehensive proposals for financing community business in central Scotland, drawing attention to the needs of community businesses to a wide range of bodies. They continued to lobby organisations in Britain and Europe for policy and funding changes to support development of social enterprise. CBS worked with 8 regional councils to establish independent development units to support community business and enterprise across Scotland including Community Business Central Ltd (1983) and Strathclyde Community Business Ltd (1984). At the time of its incorporation in 1987, CBS set up a sister company, Community Economic Development Ltd (CED), to provide a specialist consultancy service in enterprise development and employment creation. In 1989 CBS launched a subsidiary company, the Scottish Community Enterprise Investment Fund plc (SCEIF). Members of the public, commercial and other organisations were invited to purchase shares and the funds raised were lent to community enterprises via an appraisal process. In 1989 CBS set up a Legal Structures Working Party to revise the existing (outdated) model rules, examine charitable status and work towards the creation of the ‘Community Benefit Corporation’. In the 1990s CBS researched and developed methods in Social Accounting and Audit, working with partners across Europe. From 2003-2005 CBS managed the Bridge to the Social Economy project, which initiated the establishing of Social Enterprise Scotland.

CBS/CBSN produced a quarterly journal Community Business News (CB News), first published in December 1981. By 1984 almost 2000 copies were distributed across Britain with a small readership from abroad. It was succeeded by New Sector in May 1992 as a co-publication with Community Enterprise UK (CE-UK) and the Industrial Common Ownership Movement (ICOM). It ceased publication in July 2009. CBS/CBSN held an annual convention where members and people active in the community business movement could to meet and discuss the issues through keynote presentations, seminars, talks and workshops. The first annual convention was held in October 1981.

CBS/CBSN also carried out international work. In September 1988 John Pearce attended the Commonwealth Conference on Local Economic development in Goa, India. The outcome of the conference was to establish a Commonwealth forum for exchange of experience and promote activity in the area of social and economic development at local level. In 1990 COMMACT (Commonwealth Association for Local Action and Economic Development) was established. John Pearce was the UK representative and established COMMACT UK. From 1996 CBSN supported a partner organisation in Kerala, The HiLDA Trust, to develop a community enterprise and micro-credit programme for disadvantaged groups in the Wayanad district. HiLDA’s director, Lukose Jacob, had been the COMMACT bursar hosted in the UK in 1996. In 1998 CBS received a National Lottery Charities Board international grant to fund a 3 year programme to support the Akshaya Programme. The National Lottery Charities Board also provided international grant funding for CBSN to work in partnership with the Bangalore based Rehabilitation, Education and Development (READ) projects in rural Karnataka and Tamil Nadu in India.

CBSN withdrew from frontline support, of providing information, advice and member services, for the social enterprise community in 2005. The Scottish Social Enterprise Coalition (SSEC) had become the main vehicle for promotion of social enterprise in Scotland and there had been a growth of other social enterprise support agencies, all members of SSEC. In its new form CBSN continued to support the SSEC; CBSN International; CBSN hosted projects, such as the Social Audit Network (SAN) and COMMACT UK; and carried out consultancy work through its sister company, CBSN Services Ltd. CBSN closed in 2015.

Results 121 to 128 of 128