Showing 222 results

names

Communist

  • C0017
  • Corporate body

Communist Party of Great Britain

  • C0115
  • Corporate body
  • 1920-1991

The Communist Party of Great Britain (CPGB) was the largest communist party in Great Britain, although it never became a mass party like those in France and Italy. It existed from 1920 to 1991.

Community Business Scotland Network Ltd

  • C0123
  • Corporate body
  • 1981-2015

Community Business Scotland (CBS) was founded in April 1981 and inaugurated on 10 July 1981 as a successor to the Scottish Community Enterprise Forum (SCEF). The SCEF Steering Group wanted to set up a new organisation to promote the interests of and support the growing community business movement in Scotland. CBS was incorporated in September 1987 to become Community Business Scotland Ltd and in August 1999 changed its name to Community Business Scotland Network Ltd (CBS Network Ltd). By that time it was operating as a national network for community enterprise, based in Scotland, but with members from all over the UK and abroad. CBSN closed in 2015.

CBS was a registered company, number SC106472. From 1981 – January 1984 it operated from the Scottish Council of Social Services (SCSS office) at 266 Clyde Street, Glasgow. On 1 Feb 1984 it moved to an office at 39 Vicar Street, Falkirk. From September 1986 to December 2002 it operated from Unit 34&45, West Calder Workspace, Society Place, West Calder EH55 8EA. CBSN then moved to Edinburgh and was based in the following premises: Princes House, 5 Shandwick Place, Edinburgh EH2 4RG (December 2002-May 2005); 45/47 Albany Street, Edinburgh EH1 3QY (May 2005-Dec 2007); The Melting Pot, Thorn House, 5 Rose Street, Edinburgh EH2 2PR (Dec 2007-2013).

CBS had six main objectives: to encourage and promote the formation of new community businesses; to offer support for community businesses to share ideas, experience skills and knowledge; to offer and arrange access to training opportunities for community businesses, to represent the interests of community enterprise with governing bodies, financial institutions, and other public agencies at local, national and European level; to promote the concept of community business to the public, media and community organisations; to seek financial resources and establish channels for the financing of community business.

Anyone could become a member on payment of a subscription and there were five categories of membership: corporate, provisional corporate, advisory agency, individual and associate. A Board of Management was elected by the members. The Board met every 2 months and office bearers, elected by the Board, met regularly to carry out the Board decisions. Office bearers included a Convenor, Vice Convenor, Treasurer and Secretary. Convenors were as follows: George Burt (1981-1984); Willy Roe (1984-1985); Grahame Robertson (1985-1986); John Pearce (1986-1989), Glen Buchanan (1989-1991); George Hood (1991-1994); Mike Walker (1994-1997); Alf Hannay (1997-2000). Other office bearers included John Anderson, Richard Bluer, Kay Caldwell, Andy Cleland, Alan Tuffs, and Felix Mulholland. After its incorporation in September 1987 an Annual General Meeting was held each autumn, during which a Board of Directors was elected. Funding for CBS was raised from grants, publication sales, donations, consultancy fees and membership subscriptions.

In 1981 CBS drew up comprehensive proposals for financing community business in central Scotland, drawing attention to the needs of community businesses to a wide range of bodies. They continued to lobby organisations in Britain and Europe for policy and funding changes to support development of social enterprise. CBS worked with 8 regional councils to establish independent development units to support community business and enterprise across Scotland including Community Business Central Ltd (1983) and Strathclyde Community Business Ltd (1984). At the time of its incorporation in 1987, CBS set up a sister company, Community Economic Development Ltd (CED), to provide a specialist consultancy service in enterprise development and employment creation. In 1989 CBS launched a subsidiary company, the Scottish Community Enterprise Investment Fund plc (SCEIF). Members of the public, commercial and other organisations were invited to purchase shares and the funds raised were lent to community enterprises via an appraisal process. In 1989 CBS set up a Legal Structures Working Party to revise the existing (outdated) model rules, examine charitable status and work towards the creation of the ‘Community Benefit Corporation’. In the 1990s CBS researched and developed methods in Social Accounting and Audit, working with partners across Europe. From 2003-2005 CBS managed the Bridge to the Social Economy project, which initiated the establishing of Social Enterprise Scotland.

CBS/CBSN produced a quarterly journal Community Business News (CB News), first published in December 1981. By 1984 almost 2000 copies were distributed across Britain with a small readership from abroad. It was succeeded by New Sector in May 1992 as a co-publication with Community Enterprise UK (CE-UK) and the Industrial Common Ownership Movement (ICOM). It ceased publication in July 2009. CBS/CBSN held an annual convention where members and people active in the community business movement could to meet and discuss the issues through keynote presentations, seminars, talks and workshops. The first annual convention was held in October 1981.

CBS/CBSN also carried out international work. In September 1988 John Pearce attended the Commonwealth Conference on Local Economic development in Goa, India. The outcome of the conference was to establish a Commonwealth forum for exchange of experience and promote activity in the area of social and economic development at local level. In 1990 COMMACT (Commonwealth Association for Local Action and Economic Development) was established. John Pearce was the UK representative and established COMMACT UK. From 1996 CBSN supported a partner organisation in Kerala, The HiLDA Trust, to develop a community enterprise and micro-credit programme for disadvantaged groups in the Wayanad district. HiLDA’s director, Lukose Jacob, had been the COMMACT bursar hosted in the UK in 1996. In 1998 CBS received a National Lottery Charities Board international grant to fund a 3 year programme to support the Akshaya Programme. The National Lottery Charities Board also provided international grant funding for CBSN to work in partnership with the Bangalore based Rehabilitation, Education and Development (READ) projects in rural Karnataka and Tamil Nadu in India.

CBSN withdrew from frontline support, of providing information, advice and member services, for the social enterprise community in 2005. The Scottish Social Enterprise Coalition (SSEC) had become the main vehicle for promotion of social enterprise in Scotland and there had been a growth of other social enterprise support agencies, all members of SSEC. In its new form CBSN continued to support the SSEC; CBSN International; CBSN hosted projects, such as the Social Audit Network (SAN) and COMMACT UK; and carried out consultancy work through its sister company, CBSN Services Ltd. CBSN closed in 2015.

Congress of South African Trade Unions

  • C0025
  • Corporate body
  • 1985 - present

The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) was launched in December 1985 after four years of unity talks between unions opposed to apartheid and committed to a non-racial, non-sexist and democratic South Africa. At the launch we represented less than half a million workers organised in 33 unions.

Consolidated Gold Fields

  • C0102
  • Corporate body
  • 1887-1988

Consolidated Gold Fields was a British gold-mining company. It was listed on the London Stock Exchange and was once a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index but was acquired by Hanson plc in 1988.

Consolidated Gold Fields played a key role in ending apartheid in South Africa; Michael Young, the company's public affairs director embarked on the controversial course of initiating secret discussions between the South African government and the ANC at Mells Park House in the company's estate in Somerset. This ultimately resulted in the release of Nelson Mandela in 1990 and the handover of power to majority rule: the events are described in book The Fall of Apartheid by Robert Harvey and the 2009 television film "Endgame".

Crawford | Danny | 1920-2000 | trade unionist

  • P0008
  • Person
  • 1920-2000

Crawford played an important role in Scottish and UK politics for more than 20 years. During this time he was leader of the building workes' union Ucatt, served on the National Executive of the Labour Party (1980-82), was a Councillor and the chair for the Scottish Committee for Local Authority Action Against Apartheid.

One of the key events that he chaired during the campaign of the SC AAM was the meeting following the renaming of St George's Place to Nelson Mandela Place on 16th June 1986.

Ecumenical News Bulletin

  • C0034
  • Corporate body
  • c 1977

The EcuNews Bulletin provided bulletins on national and international church news during the 1970s.

Ecumenical Press Service

  • C0032
  • Corporate body
  • Established 1947

Published weekly under auspices: World Council of Churches; World Alliance of Young Men's Christian Associations; World Young Women's Christian Association; World Student Christian Federation; World Council of Christian Education.

The aim of the EPS was to keep its readers informed of trends of thought and opinion in and about the churches and Christian movements.

Edwards, Fred | 1931 - 2008 | social worker

  • P0063
  • Person
  • 1931-2008

Fred Edwards was born on April 9th 1931, the only child of Reginald and Jessie Edwards. Raised in Norris Green Council Estate in Liverpool, he was educated at St Edwards College. After spending 10 years with the Royal and merchant navies, he became a probation officer in Liverpool in 1960. Taking unpaid leave in this time he gained a post graduate diploma in Social Studies at Glasgow University.
Edwards played a significant role in Scottish social work in the 1970s. In 1974 he was appointed Head of Social of Social work in Grampian, before moving to the same role in the Strathclyde region two years later. Viewing his department as a potential instrument in social justice, he was scathing on matters such a Strathclyde Children’s’ Homes, characterising them as ‘an industrial process.’
During the 1984-85 Miners’ Strike, Edwards authorised loans of £191,000 to unmarried miners. This was subsequently deemed to be illegal and Edwards was held personally accountable for the sum until the Government relented in the face of a public outcry.
In 1986, he was appointed visiting Professor of Social Policy at Glasgow University, and in 1992 was named a lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order. He retired in 1993, embarking on a ‘portfolio career’ by becoming a full time voluntary worker - focussing in the main on matters relating to the environment, social justice and religion. In 2002, along with his 2nd wife Mary, he established a water purification and female literacy project in Cambodia.
A devout Christian and active member of the Church of Scotland, he depicted his faith as one of ‘public orthodoxy, private heresy,’ noting that as he aged, his belief became more minimalist, yet more profound. After developing myeloma in 2005, he died three years later on October 18th 2008 at the age of 77.

Results 51 to 60 of 222