- Corporate body
- early 18th century-1971
Hill and Hoggan were solicitors in Glasgow from the early eighteenth century. Mr George B Hoggan, who was a Partner in the firm, acted as Secretary to the Glasgow School of Cookery from the time of its commencement in 1874. In 1908, when it amalgamated with the West End School of Cookery, to become the Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science (Incorporated), Mr Hoggan became a Governor of the College. From that time there was a succession of four Secretaries of the College, all of them partners in Hill and Hoggan:
Dr James A McCallum (d 1948), Secretary and Treasurer, 1908-1921; Joint Secretary and Treasurer, 1921-1928
Mr Andrew MacNair (d 1933), Joint Secretary and Treasurer, 1921-1928; Secretary and Treasurer, 1928-1933
Mr T L Grahame Reid (d 1969), Secretary and Treasurer, 1933-1969
Mr James D MacKenzie, Secretary and Treasurer, 1969-1972
Dr McCallum did a lot of work to raise the funds to build the new College premises in Park Drive and offered guidance in the move to the new building. He was dedicated to College affairs during his years of office. Due to illness, another partner, Andrew McNair was appointed as Joint Secretary, becoming sole Secretary when Dr McCallum resigned in December 1928. When Andrew McNair died in 1933 he was succeeded by TL Grahame Reid who died in 1969 and was replaced by James D Mackenzie.
Hill & Hoggan combined with the firm Mitchells Johnston and Company on 1 January 1972. The new firm of Mitchell Johnston Hill and Hoggan continued to administer the legal affairs of the College. On 1 January 1985 the firm merged with Mackenzie Roberton and Company to become Mitchells Roberton.