- 1977-1988 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This collection is part of the Social Enterprise Collection Scotland. The collection covers records kept by Chas Ball while working for the Highlands and Islands Development Board as a community co-operatives development officer from 1979 to 1983 and his continued interest in community development in the Highlands and Islands up to 1988. The records have been arranged into 8 files reflecting the establishment and development of the HIDB Community Co-operatives scheme, support for community enterprise and economic development in the Highlands and Islands, including:
- Reports on community co-operatives in Ireland (Gaeltacht) and Iceland, 1977-1982
- Papers relating to the early phases of the Highlands and Islands Development Board (HIDB) Community Co-operatives scheme, 1978-1983
- Press cuttings regarding community co-operatives in the Highlands and Islands, 1979-1988
- Papers relating to the establishment of a development support unit for community co-operatives in the Highlands and Islands, 1980-1983
- Reports on strategy and progress of the Community Co-operatives scheme following restructuring of HIDB support , 1982-1985
- Association of Community Enterprise in the Highlands and Islands (ACE-HI) documents 1987-88
- Press cuttings and publications regarding land use in the Highlands and Islands, 1987-1988
- Regional Employment Initiative workshop notes and reports, 1987-1988
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
The collection has been arranged into 8 files in roughly chronological order by activity.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Open although access to some records may be restricted by data protection legislation.
Where this is applicable it has been included at file level.
Conditions governing reproduction
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the University Archivist. Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
Language of material