Series 2 - Gibson Hall building, opening and inventories

Identity area

Reference code

GB 1847 QC/4/2

Title

Gibson Hall building, opening and inventories

Date(s)

  • 1958-1972 (Creation)

Level of description

Series

Extent and medium

5 folders

Context area

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This series consists of 2 sub-series:


  • Planning, building and opening of Gibson Hall, 1958-1969
  • Inventories for Gibson Hall, 1958-1972

Gibson Hall was named after Isobel Gibson, College Principal, in honour of her role in instigating the new halls of residence. The hall was built in Dorchester Avenue on a site close to the College hockey pitch and tennis courts. It was designed by Monro and Partners, Architects, Glasgow, and consisted of an administrative block with common rooms, library, dining room and roll-up carpeting for dances; and 2 bedroom blocks with accommodation for 120 students. It was first occupied in September 1967 and officially opened by HRH Queen Elizabeth II on 5 July 1968.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Status

Level of detail

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area