Primary contactArchive Centre Cowcaddens Road
GB G4 0BA
Glasgow Caledonian University is the result of a merger of two Scottish Central Institutions - Glasgow Polytechnic and The Queen’s College, Glasgow. Glasgow Polytechnic and The Queen’s College, Glasgow were dissolved by Statutory Instruments on 31 March 1993 and merged to form Glasgow Caledonian University on 1 April 1993.
Prior to being called The Queen’s College, the Park Drive College was know as The Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science (affectionately known as the Dough School). This central institution was the result of a merger in 1908 between The Glasgow School of Cookery and The West End School of Cookery, these schools dating back to 1875 and 1878 respectively.
Glasgow Polytechnic was originally called Glasgow College of Technology, which opened its doors in 1971. It was given Scottish Central Institution status in September 1985. In January 1988 it shortened its name to Glasgow College and in 1991 the College became Glasgow Polytechinic.