Showing 6 results

titles
Melvin, Dorothy Humphreys | 1881-1963 | OBE JP, Principal of the Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science
Print preview View:

1936 extension to Park Drive building

This subseries consists of 5 files:
-Estimated costs and funding of the extension of the College, correspondence, 1934
-Financial statements of cost of the College premises at Park Drive, 1936-1937
-Notebook of costs of furniture and fittings for the College extension, 1936
-Measurement of works for extension and alterations to the College, 1936-1938
-Formal opening of extensions to the College buildings, 1936

Following the death of Walter R Watson in 1932, James Monro was engaged as Architect to the College. His first major undertaking was the new extension. The College purchased 7 Park Drive in 1923, 8 Park Drive in 1927 and 9 Park Drive in 1934. Work began on the extension in April 1935. Mr Monro's plans included a new dietetic kitchen and laboratory in the original College buildings; 3 new kitchens, a laundry and 2 housewifery classrooms in No. 7; retaining the hostel at No. 8 and providing staff dining room and common room; moving the Students' Union to No. 9, along with a new recreation hall and residential hostel. The new extension was opened on 29 October 1936.

Building of new College premises on Park Drive

This subseries consists of 8 files:
-Walter R Watson, Architect, letters to Miss Melvin, 1911-1915
-Miss Melvin's notes for Mr Watson, Architect, c1911-c1914
-Walter R Watson, Architect, copy letters regarding supply of windows and cooking range, 1914-1915
-Red Cross Society possession of the new Park Drive Building for a hospital, correspondence, 1915
-Supplier brochures, c1914
-Plans : Preliminary rough sketch plans of new building, 1912
-Plans : Copy of 1913 plans of proposed new building in Park Drive and Park Avenue West, 2015
-Plan : 8 Park Drive West Glasgow, c1913

When the Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science was formed from the amalgamation of the Glasgow School of Cookery and West End School of Cookery it was housed in separate buildings across Glasgow at 86 Bath Street, 502 Sauchiehall Street and Scott Street. A new building to replace the existing accommodation was seen as a priority. As it was now recognised as a central institution, it was eligible for a grant from the Scotch Education Department towards capital expenditure. The site at Park Drive was identified and Walter R Watson, Architect, was asked to prepare a report on requirements for new premises and estimated costs.

Principal (1910-1946) : Dorothy Melvin, papers

This series consists of 4 sub-series:
-General correspondence, reports, notes, books and pamphlets kept by Dorothy Melvin, 1913-1948
-Grahame Reid, Secretary and Treasurer, correspondence with Dorothy Melvin, 1933-1947
-Scottish Education Department, correspondence with Dorothy Melvin, 1933-1944
-Biographical records of Dorothy Melvin, 1963