Showing 2 results

Calder, Juliann MacKinnon |1914-2008 | Principal of the Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science Series
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Gibson Hall building, opening and inventories

This series consists of 2 sub-series:

  • Planning, building and opening of Gibson Hall, 1958-1969
  • Inventories for Gibson Hall, 1958-1972

Gibson Hall was named after Isobel Gibson, College Principal (1947-1962), in honour of her role in instigating the new halls of residence. The hall was built in Dorchester Avenue on a site close to the College hockey pitch and tennis courts. It was designed by Monro and Partners, Architects, Glasgow, and consisted of an administrative block with common rooms, library, dining room and roll-up carpeting for dances; and 2 bedroom blocks with accommodation for 120 students. It was first occupied in September 1967 and officially opened by HRH Queen Elizabeth II on 5 July 1968.