Showing 104 results

titles
Series
Print preview View:

Diploma day photographs

This series consists of 7 files:
-1910s diploma day photographs, 1910-1919
-1920s diploma day photographs, 1920-1929
-1930s diploma day photographs, 1930-1939
-1940s diploma day photographs with Dorothy Melvin, 1940-1946
-1940s diploma day photographs with Isobel Gibson, 1947-1949
-1950s diploma day photographs, 1950-1959
-1960s diploma day photographs, 1960-1969

Domestic Science and Home Economics courses

This series consists of 5 sub-series:
-Degree courses in Domestic Science, 1914-1946
-Group I to III domestic science diploma development, 1914-1944
-Home Economics diploma and degree course booklets, 1980-1982
-Home Economics student reports, 1982-1991
-Learning and teaching videos, 1980-1993

Eldon Street proposed development

This series consists of 5 sub-series:
-Files, reports and brochures related to the Eldon Street site, 1985-1991
-Eldon Street correspondence, 1990-1992
-Photographs of Eldon Street tenements, c1990
-Miller and Black, Architects, plan drawings and photographs of proposed Eldon Street development , 1990
-Holmes Partnership, Architects and Planning Consultants, hotel school feasibility project, 1990

The College first started buying properties in Eldon Street in 1972 when it was zoned by the Secretary of State for educational purposes. The Phase III extension along Park Avenue (the Calder wing) was partly built on the site of the demolished tenements and shops at 1-9 Eldon Street. In 1984 the College had planned a further extension on the site of tenements at 15-35 Eldon Street. The College wanted to demolish the B listed terrace in order to make way for a building to house its expanding provison of Healthcare courses. There was resistance to these plans from local residents, backed by Glasgow District Council, who wanted to rehabilitate the building and retain it for housing.

In 1985 the Secretary of State agreed the College's plans with certain qualifications and agreed that capital funds would be made available from 1987. However, by that time the Scottish Education Department had decided to carry out a feasibility study to consider the extent to which accommodation at Jordanhill College of Education could meet the needs of the Queen's College, Glasgow.

In November 1987, despite local resistance, the building was demolished having been deemed unsafe by Glasgow District Council. The College campaigned to to have the campus extended on this single site at Eldon Street and Park Drive rather than a split site with Jordanhill College. In 1988 the Scottish Office decided that the new health care courses should be housed at Jordanhill.

A local public enquiry was held on 11 May 1990 over the Glasgow District Council's Park Anderston local plan. The Scottish Reporter stopped the enquiry and recommended that the land be designated as "Higher Education/Residential". The College continued to buy up the remaining vacant land at the site. Also in 1990, the College commissioned a feasibility study for an international hotel school, conference centre, health and fitness complex, and student residences for the Eldon Street site. Miller and Black, Architects, Glasgow and the Holmes Partnership, Architects and Planning Consultants, produced plans, models and marketing material for the project. The project was never realised and the Eldon Street site remained vacant.

Electrical Association for Women (EAW)

This series consists of 1 file:
-Electrical Association for Women Summer School of Electrical Housecraft, Glasgow

The Electrical Association for Women (EAW) was founded in London in 1924 with the aim of helping women to adopt electric power in the household. The College had a close relationship with the EAW, especially in the early days of electricity in the kitchen and Diploma students had to take a course covering the work of the EAW Certificate examinations. The third EAW summer school was held in the College from 26 to 31 August 1937. On November 1986 a special lunch was held for EAW Members in the College’s Hotel Restaurant when the Association was discontinued.

Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) and consultancy

This series consists of 5 files:
-Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1981-1983
-Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1984
-Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1985
-Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1986
-Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1987-1990

The Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) aimed to use its experience from working with the local Asian community to offer ethnic minority groups appropriate business training and information to help them set up small businesses with translation facilities and bi-lingual staff. It would help improve the effectiveness of existing businesses as well as supporting new companies. A Steering Group consisting of representatives from the Pakistani, Indian, Chinese, and Afro Caribbean communities was set up. The centre was launched in May 1985 and Jonathan Emanuwa was appointed as Director of the centre in October 1985. The centre was funded through various sources including private donations, Levi Strauss, Glasgow District Council, Community Projects Foundation, European Rural Development Fund grants, Commission for Racial Equality funding. It became a Company Limited by Guarantee in February 1987 and ceased trading in September 1990.

Results 31 to 40 of 104