Showing 133 results

titles
Series
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Academic Council and standing committees

This series consists of 8 sub-series:

  • Operational handbooks, 1980-1991
  • Academic Council minutes, 1982-1992
  • Course Development Committee, 1980-1990
  • Central Academic Services Committee, 1982-1991
  • Research and Staff Development Committee, 1985-1993
  • Academic and Professional Standards Committee, 1990-1992
  • Course Leaders meetings, 1981-1986
  • Health and Safety at Work Committee, 1979-1989

Alumni Association

This series consists of 6 files:

  • Meetings of the Alumni Association Committee, 1991-1992
  • Correspondence of the Alumni Association : external mail, 1991-1993
  • Formation of the Alumni Association, 1991-1992
  • Correspondence of the Alumni Association : internal mail, 1991-1993
  • Events of the Alumni Association, 1991-1992
  • Alumni newsletters, 1991-1992

After the Former Students' Association folded in the 1980s the College had no formal association with its alumni. In 1991 the Alumni Association was set up and a mass mailshot was conducted to to re-establish contact with former students.

Annual accounts

This series consists of 4 files:

  • Abstract of accounts bound, 1909-1936
  • Abstract of accounts bound, 1936-1967
  • Abstract of accounts loose, 1944-1967
  • Annual accounts, 1991-92

Abstracts of accounts were summaries of the audited accounts produced as a statutory requirement. A copy of the abstract of accounts was presented at the College Annual General Meeting together with the Governors' report.

Association of Child Care Officers (ACCO) meetings, events, annual reports and printed material

This series consists of 3 sub-series:

  • Meetings, publications, reports, papers and leaflets of the Association of Child Care Officers (ACCO), 1957-1969
  • Executive Committee papers and correspondence of the Association of Child Care Officers (ACCO), 1966-1971
  • Parliamentary summary reports of the Association of Child Care Officers (ACCO), 1966–1969

Association of Community Enterprises in the Highlands and Islands (ACE-HI) annual reviews and newsletters

This series consists of 2 files:

  • Annual reviews of the Association of Community Enterprises in the Highlands and Islands (ACE-HI), 1988-1990
  • Newsletters of the Association of Community Enterprises in the Highlands and Islands (ACE-HI), 1985-1988

The Association of Community Enterprises in the Highlands and Islands (ACE-HI) was established in 1986 to provide support for community enterprises. It offered help and advice and sharing skills and knowledge for community co-operatives and community businesses across the region.

Association of Lecturers in Scottish Central Institutions (ALSCI)

This series consists of 1 file:

  • Committee meetings and discussion papers of the Queen's College branch of ALSCI, 1984-1986

ALSCI was the trade union for academic staff in the Scottish central institutions. The Queen’s College Branch was set up to maintain the professional standing of its members and advance their interests. Membership was open to all academic staff, librarians and other staff with payment of an annual subscription.

Cash books

This series consists of 18 files:

  • Cash book No.9 - Debits, 1967-1968
  • Cash book No.9 - Credits, 1967-1968
  • Cash book No.10 - Debits, 1968-1969
  • Cash book No.10 - Credits, 1968-1969
  • Cash book No.11 - Debits, 1969-1970
  • Cash book No.11 - Credits, 1969-1970
  • Cash book No.12 - Debits, 1970-1971
  • Cash book No.12 - Credits, 1970-1971
  • Cash book No.13 - Debits, 1971-1972
  • Cash book No.13 - Credits, 1971-1972
  • Cash book No.14 - Debits, 1972-1973
  • Cash book No.14 - Credits, 1972-1973
  • Cash book No.15, 1973-1974
  • Cash book No.16, 1974-1975
  • Cash book No.17, 1975-1976
  • Cash book 18-19, 1976-1978
  • Cash Book 20-21, 1978-1979

These contain details of all cash transactions. Debit (Dr) and credit (Cr) transactions were recorded in separate books until 1973/74 when both were recorded in the same book on opposite pages. Details include date of transaction; description; amount (with columns for different categories of transaction); and monthly totals.

Catering silverware

This series consists of 15 files:

  • Tea/coffee service engraved 'GCDS Students Union', mid 20th century
  • Tea/coffee service engraved 'C D S' in plain capitals, mid 20th century
  • Tea/coffee service engraved 'CDS' in gothic style capitals, mid 20th century
  • Small tea set engraved 'CDS' in plain capitals, 1948
  • Non-engraved tea/coffee service, mid 20th century
  • Serving tray, mid 20th century
  • Toast racks, mid 20th century
  • Oval serving dishes, mid 20th century
  • Round serving dishes, mid 20th century
  • Square serving dishes, c1930-1952
  • Oval serving plates, mid 20th century
  • Gravy boat, mid 20th century
  • Butter dish, mid 20th century
  • Serving spoons, mid 20th century
  • Wine stand, mid 20th century

All items are silver-plated unless otherwise stated.

Catering, Hospitality and Institution Management and related courses

This series consists of 5 sub-series:

  • Consumer, Hospitality Management, Food Product Development and Consumer and Business Services courses, 1991-1992
  • Consumer, Business and Catering Management courses, 1980-1981
  • Consumer studies courses, 1991
  • Faculty of Management Studies student work experience, 1992
  • Faculty of Management Studies student reports, 1987-1992

Central academic services

This series consists of 1 sub-series:

  • Library services, 1952-1993

See also minutes, papers and correspondence in the Central Academic Services Committee series, reference QC/1/4/4. Central Academic Services also included Technical services but there is no surviving material from this service except the minutes of the Technical committee meetings found in the Governing Body and appointed committees series, reference QC/1/2.

Child abuse reports, studies and enquiries

This series consists of 5 files:

  • Richard Clark child abuse inquiry related papers, 1974-1975
  • RSSPCC Overnewton Centre reports and related correspondence, 1978-1987
  • General child abuse related reports and studies, 1981-1987
  • Orkney child abuse inquiry related reports, articles and briefing papers, 1991-1992
  • Orkney child abuse inquiry newspaper cuttings, 1991-1992

Classes, lectures and demonstrations photographs

This series consists of 7 files:

  • Cookery and catering classes, 1930s-1980s
  • Dressmaking classes, mannequin parades and exhibitions of work, 1930s-1980s
  • Needlework, millinery, upholstery, weaving, art and design and pottery classes, 1930s-1970s
  • Laundry work classes, 1930s-1980s
  • Dietetics and chemistry , 1930s-1980s
  • Lectures and demonstrations, 1930s-1960s
  • Social work, business, communications and physiotherapy classes, 1960s-1980s

College Business Development Manager post

This series consists of 2 files:

  • Recruitment correspondence for the post of Business Development Manager, 1990
  • Correspondence of Geoffrey Richardson, Principal, and Ian Brian Conn, Business Development Manager, 1991-1992

In January 1990 the College was in the process of re-structuring, setting up two new faculties, in Health Studies and in Management Studies and Social Work, and a new functional unit “Enterprise”. This unit would be responsible for marketing and enterprise activities for generating income, particularly through QCG Enterprises Ltd, EMSBC Ltd and the Educational Trust. A Business Development Manager was appointed to develop each of these areas.

Community Business Scotland Ltd (CBS) reports, conventions and publications

This series consists of 4 files:

  • Annual reports and conventions of Community Business Scotland Ltd, 1986-1990
  • Scottish Community Enterprise Investment Fund plc promotional material, 1989
  • Publications of Community Business Scotland Ltd, 1986-1987
  • Newsletters of Community Business Scotland Ltd, 1984-1991

Community Business Scotland Ltd was founded in 1981 to provide support to the growing community business movement in Scotland. In the 1980s the organisation worked with 8 regional councils to establish independent development units to support community business and enterprise across Scotland. It also produced a newsletter CB News, which was succeeded by New Sector in the 1990s, closing in 2009. In 1990 CBS launched the Scottish Community Enterprise Investment Fund, raising £0.5m to lend to community enterprises. The fund was absorbed into Charity Bank in 2000. In the 1990s CBS researched and developed methods in Social Accounting and Audit working with partners across Europe. From 2003-2005 CBS managed the Bridge to the Social Economy project, which initiated the establishing of Social Enterprise Scotland. From the 1990s CBS was known as CBS Network and closed in 2015.

Community Economic Development Ltd (CED) records

This series consists of 3 sub-series:

  • Board of Directors' meetings, statutory documents and correspondence of CED, 1988-1991
  • CED membership records, 1991
  • Consultancy proposals and reports by CED, c1989-1990

Community Economic Development Ltd (CED) was set up as a sister company to CBS Ltd when it was incorporated in 1987. CED was established to provide a specialist consultancy, information and advisory service in all aspects of enterprise development and employment creation. It carried out research, wrote and published periodicals and books, devised and delivered training courses as well as carrying out consultancy work. CED was registered in Scotland, no. 104651, and only Directors of CBS could become members and directors of CED. In May 1988 CBS published a five year strategy which identified 14 objectives for CBS. Some of these objectives were condensed into six topics which were included in a brief for consultancy study. In December 1988 the SDA agreed to contract CED to investigate and develop the topics on behalf of CBS. CED appointed, Alan Kay, as a full-time research and development worker to work with advisors in working parties for each of the six topics. The study commenced on 12 December 1988 and was completed on 11 December 1989.

Community enterprises in the Highlands and Islands reports, publications, photographs and miscellaneous material

This series consists of 5 files:

  • Reports on specific community enterprises in the Highlands and Islands, 1980-2003
  • Stationary, leaflets, photographs and newspaper cuttings of community enterprises in the Highlands and Islands, 1980-1991
  • Association of Community Enterprise in the Highlands and Islands (ACE-HI) articles, artwork and photographs, 1985-1989
  • Association of Community Enterprise in the Highlands and Islands (ACE-HI) publications, 1986-1990
  • Information manual on community enterprises, 2002

The Association of Community Enterprises in the Highlands and Islands (ACE-HI) was established in 1986, with HIDB support, to provide support for community enterprises. It offered help and advice and sharing skills and knowledge for community co-operatives and community businesses across the region. It closed in 1996.

Diploma day photographs

This series consists of 7 files:

  • 1910s diploma day photographs, 1910-1919
  • 1920s diploma day photographs, 1920-1929
  • 1930s diploma day photographs, 1930-1939
  • 1940s diploma day photographs with Dorothy Melvin, 1940-1946
  • 1940s diploma day photographs with Isobel Gibson, 1947-1949
  • 1950s diploma day photographs, 1950-1959
  • 1960s diploma day photographs, 1960-1969

Elderly care studies

This series consists of 1 file:

  • Background papers for proposed research on care of elderly adults in Ardnamurchan, 1987-1989

Eldon Street proposed development

This series consists of 5 sub-series:

  • Files, reports and brochures related to the Eldon Street site, 1985-1991
  • Eldon Street correspondence, 1990-1992
  • Photographs of Eldon Street tenements, c1990
  • Miller and Black, Architects, plan drawings and photographs of proposed Eldon Street development , 1990
  • Holmes Partnership, Architects and Planning Consultants, hotel school feasibility project, 1990

The College first started buying properties in Eldon Street in 1972 when it was zoned by the Secretary of State for educational purposes. The Phase III extension along Park Avenue (the Calder wing) was partly built on the site of the demolished tenements and shops at 1-9 Eldon Street. In 1984 the College had planned a further extension on the site of tenements at 15-35 Eldon Street. The College wanted to demolish the B listed terrace in order to make way for a building to house its expanding provision of Healthcare courses. There was resistance to these plans from local residents, backed by Glasgow District Council, who wanted to rehabilitate the building and retain it for housing.

In 1985 the Secretary of State agreed the College's plans with certain qualifications and agreed that capital funds would be made available from 1987. However, by that time the Scottish Education Department had decided to carry out a feasibility study to consider the extent to which accommodation at Jordanhill College of Education could meet the needs of the Queen's College, Glasgow.

In November 1987, despite local resistance, the building was demolished having been deemed unsafe by Glasgow District Council. The College campaigned to to have the campus extended on this single site at Eldon Street and Park Drive rather than a split site with Jordanhill College. In 1988 the Scottish Office decided that the new health care courses should be housed at Jordanhill.

A local public enquiry was held on 11 May 1990 over the Glasgow District Council's Park Anderston local plan. The Scottish Reporter stopped the enquiry and recommended that the land be designated as "Higher Education/Residential". The College continued to buy up the remaining vacant land at the site. Also in 1990, the College commissioned a feasibility study for an international hotel school, conference centre, health and fitness complex, and student residences for the Eldon Street site. Miller and Black, Architects, Glasgow and the Holmes Partnership, Architects and Planning Consultants, produced plans, models and marketing material for the project. The project was never realised and the Eldon Street site remained vacant.

Electrical Association for Women (EAW)

This series consists of 1 file:

  • Electrical Association for Women Summer School of Electrical Housecraft, Glasgow, 1937

The Electrical Association for Women (EAW) was founded in London in 1924 with the aim of helping women to adopt electric power in the household. The College had a close relationship with the EAW, especially in the early days of electricity in the kitchen and Diploma students had to take a course covering the work of the EAW Certificate examinations. The third EAW summer school was held in the College from 26 to 31 August 1937. On November 1986 a special lunch was held for EAW Members in the College’s Hotel Restaurant when the Association was discontinued.

Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) and consultancy

This series consists of 5 files:

  • Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1981-1983
  • Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1984
  • Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1985
  • Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1986
  • Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1987-1990

The Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) aimed to use its experience from working with the local Asian community to offer ethnic minority groups appropriate business training and information to help them set up small businesses with translation facilities and bi-lingual staff. It would help improve the effectiveness of existing businesses as well as supporting new companies. A Steering Group consisting of representatives from the Pakistani, Indian, Chinese, and Afro Caribbean communities was set up. The centre was launched in May 1985 and Jonathan Emanuwa was appointed as Director of the centre in October 1985. The centre was funded through various sources including private donations, Levi Strauss, Glasgow District Council, Community Projects Foundation, European Rural Development Fund grants, Commission for Racial Equality funding. It became a Company Limited by Guarantee in February 1987 and ceased trading in September 1990.

Former Students' Association

This series consists of 9 files:

  • Committee Minute Books of the Former Students' Association, 1950-1985
  • Annual general meeting papers and memos of the Former Students’ Association, 1950-1984
  • Finances of the Former Students’ Association, 1950-1975
  • Membership correspondence of the Former Students’ Association, 1969-1984
  • Membership files of the Former Students’ Association, 1974-1985
  • Membership cards of the Former Students’ Association, 1967-1985
  • Stationery of the Former Students’ Association, c1970s
  • Former Students’ Association events, 1969-1971
  • Newsletters of the Former Students’ Association, 1952-1968

The Former Students' Association was established in 1950. The Association ended in 1985.

Results 1 to 50 of 133