Showing 133 results

titles
Series
Print preview View:

Southbrae campus development and opening

This series consists of 2 sub-series:

  • Southbrae campus development and expenditure, c1987-1990
  • Formal opening of the Southbrae Campus, Faculty of Health Studies, by HRH Princess of Wales on 13 December 1991, 1991-1992

The College had planned to house its expanding health care courses in a new development on Eldon Street, creating a single site campus around the existing Park Drive building. In 1987 the Scottish Education Department carried out a feasibility study to consider the extent to which vacant accommodation at Jordanhill College of Education could meet the needs of the Health Studies faculty. In 1988 the Scottish Office decided that the new health care courses should be housed at Jordanhill and so the Southbrae Campus was initiated.

The Schools of Radiography and Chiropody took up occupation of the Crawfurd Building at the Southbrae Campus in January 1991, the School of Occupational Therapy in February 1991 and the School of Orthoptics in March 1991. The Faculty of Health Studies at the Crawfurd Building, was officially inaugurated on Friday 13 December 1991 by Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales who unveiled the commemorative plaque.

Eldon Street proposed development

This series consists of 5 sub-series:

  • Files, reports and brochures related to the Eldon Street site, 1985-1991
  • Eldon Street correspondence, 1990-1992
  • Photographs of Eldon Street tenements, c1990
  • Miller and Black, Architects, plan drawings and photographs of proposed Eldon Street development , 1990
  • Holmes Partnership, Architects and Planning Consultants, hotel school feasibility project, 1990

The College first started buying properties in Eldon Street in 1972 when it was zoned by the Secretary of State for educational purposes. The Phase III extension along Park Avenue (the Calder wing) was partly built on the site of the demolished tenements and shops at 1-9 Eldon Street. In 1984 the College had planned a further extension on the site of tenements at 15-35 Eldon Street. The College wanted to demolish the B listed terrace in order to make way for a building to house its expanding provision of Healthcare courses. There was resistance to these plans from local residents, backed by Glasgow District Council, who wanted to rehabilitate the building and retain it for housing.

In 1985 the Secretary of State agreed the College's plans with certain qualifications and agreed that capital funds would be made available from 1987. However, by that time the Scottish Education Department had decided to carry out a feasibility study to consider the extent to which accommodation at Jordanhill College of Education could meet the needs of the Queen's College, Glasgow.

In November 1987, despite local resistance, the building was demolished having been deemed unsafe by Glasgow District Council. The College campaigned to to have the campus extended on this single site at Eldon Street and Park Drive rather than a split site with Jordanhill College. In 1988 the Scottish Office decided that the new health care courses should be housed at Jordanhill.

A local public enquiry was held on 11 May 1990 over the Glasgow District Council's Park Anderston local plan. The Scottish Reporter stopped the enquiry and recommended that the land be designated as "Higher Education/Residential". The College continued to buy up the remaining vacant land at the site. Also in 1990, the College commissioned a feasibility study for an international hotel school, conference centre, health and fitness complex, and student residences for the Eldon Street site. Miller and Black, Architects, Glasgow and the Holmes Partnership, Architects and Planning Consultants, produced plans, models and marketing material for the project. The project was never realised and the Eldon Street site remained vacant.

Gibson Hall building, opening and inventories

This series consists of 2 sub-series:

  • Planning, building and opening of Gibson Hall, 1958-1969
  • Inventories for Gibson Hall, 1958-1972

Gibson Hall was named after Isobel Gibson, College Principal (1947-1962), in honour of her role in instigating the new halls of residence. The hall was built in Dorchester Avenue on a site close to the College hockey pitch and tennis courts. It was designed by Monro and Partners, Architects, Glasgow, and consisted of an administrative block with common rooms, library, dining room and roll-up carpeting for dances; and 2 bedroom blocks with accommodation for 120 students. It was first occupied in September 1967 and officially opened by HRH Queen Elizabeth II on 5 July 1968.

Park Drive building and development

This series consists of 5 sub-series:

  • Building of new College premises on Park Drive, 1911-1915
  • Inventories and purchases for Park Drive building, 1919-1975
  • 1936 extension to Park Drive building, 1934-1938
  • Phase III extension and remodelling of Park Drive building, 1968-1975
  • Accommodation reports for Park Drive building, 1990

Principal (1991-1993) : John C Phillips papers

This series consists of 8 sub-series:

  • General correspondence and reports, 1985-1993
  • Scottish Education Department correspondence, 1992
  • Scottish Higher Education Funding Council (SHEFC) correspondence, 1992
  • Scottish Vocational Education Council (SCOTVEC) correspondence, 1991-1993
  • Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA) correspondence, 1991-1992
  • Universities Funding Council correspondence, 1991-1993
  • Presentations given by John C Phillips, 1991-1992
  • Academic work of John C Phillips, c1962-c1966

Governing Body and appointed committees

This series consists of 6 sub-series:

  • Governors and appointed committees' meeting minutes: annual published minutes bound in volumes, 1907-1964
  • Governors and appointed committees' meeting minutes: annual published minutes bound in folders, 1909-1966
  • Governors and appointed committees' meeting minutes: loose copies of individual minutes, 1964-1978
  • Housewifery and Hostels Sub-Committees meeting minutes, 1911-1948
  • Cookery, Laundry and Dressmaking Sub-Committees meeting minutes, 1916-1968
  • Finance and General Purposes Committee meetings minutes and papers, 1982-1990

Ledgers

This series consists of 8 files:

  • Ledger, 1953-1957
  • Ledger, 1957-1964
  • Ledger, 1964-1967
    -Ledger, 1967-1970
  • Ledger, 1972-1975
  • Ledger, 1975-1978
  • Ledger, 1979-1980
  • Ledger, 1980-1981

The ledgers contain all the accounts, with a page for each type of account and these are usually indexed. They detail date; type of transaction (journal or cash); amount; and balance for each month end.

Wages and salaries books

This series consists of 6 files:

  • Temporary staff book, 1930-1965
  • Salaries book, 1949-1954
  • Salaries book no. 2, 1954-1957
  • Salaries book no. 3, 1957-1959
  • Salaries book no. 4, 1959-1965
  • Salaries book no. 5, 1965-1970

Salaries books list monthly salary expenditure by person detailing salary scale; name; annual salary; salary for month; superannuation; sickness benefit; insurance contribution; income tax; national insurance contributions; net amount payable; national insurance employer’s contribution.

Petty cash books

This series consists of 4 files:

  • Petty cash book, 1966-1971
  • Petty cash book, February 1971 - June 1971
  • Petty cash book, 1971-1975
  • Petty cash book, 1976-1979

These books list monthly petty cash transactions detailing, balance brought forward; date of transaction, description, amount (with columns for different categories of transaction); and monthly totals.

Cash books

This series consists of 18 files:

  • Cash book No.9 - Debits, 1967-1968
  • Cash book No.9 - Credits, 1967-1968
  • Cash book No.10 - Debits, 1968-1969
  • Cash book No.10 - Credits, 1968-1969
  • Cash book No.11 - Debits, 1969-1970
  • Cash book No.11 - Credits, 1969-1970
  • Cash book No.12 - Debits, 1970-1971
  • Cash book No.12 - Credits, 1970-1971
  • Cash book No.13 - Debits, 1971-1972
  • Cash book No.13 - Credits, 1971-1972
  • Cash book No.14 - Debits, 1972-1973
  • Cash book No.14 - Credits, 1972-1973
  • Cash book No.15, 1973-1974
  • Cash book No.16, 1974-1975
  • Cash book No.17, 1975-1976
  • Cash book 18-19, 1976-1978
  • Cash Book 20-21, 1978-1979

These contain details of all cash transactions. Debit (Dr) and credit (Cr) transactions were recorded in separate books until 1973/74 when both were recorded in the same book on opposite pages. Details include date of transaction; description; amount (with columns for different categories of transaction); and monthly totals.

Central academic services

This series consists of 1 sub-series:

  • Library services, 1952-1993

See also minutes, papers and correspondence in the Central Academic Services Committee series, reference QC/1/4/4. Central Academic Services also included Technical services but there is no surviving material from this service except the minutes of the Technical committee meetings found in the Governing Body and appointed committees series, reference QC/1/2.

Staff research papers

This series consists of 8 files:

  • Mary Andross research papers on food and nutrition, 1935-1953
  • Miscellaneous research papers on nutrition and physiotherapy, 1967-1975
  • Robert G Sawyer collaborative research papers on learning in the RAF, c1971-1972
  • Robert J Chalmers collaborative research papers on medical drug tests and physiological research, 1974-1978
  • L B Smith collaborative research papers on dietary toxins in the Glasgow area, 1978
  • Audrey W Pepper research papers on the development of food studies courses, c1978-1979
  • Miscellaneous research reports on adult education, social care, education policy and staff exchange trips, 1979-1989
  • Mike Stone research reports on social work and childcare, c1985-1990

Former Students' Association

This series consists of 9 files:

  • Committee Minute Books of the Former Students' Association, 1950-1985
  • Annual general meeting papers and memos of the Former Students’ Association, 1950-1984
  • Finances of the Former Students’ Association, 1950-1975
  • Newsletters of the Former Students’ Association, 1952-1968
  • Membership cards of the Former Students’ Association, 1967-1985
  • Membership correspondence of the Former Students’ Association, 1969-1984
  • Former Students’ Association events, 1969-1971
  • Stationery of the Former Students’ Association, c1970s
  • Membership files of the Former Students’ Association, 1974-1985

The Former Students' Association was established in 1950. The Association ended in 1985.

Students' Association

This series consists of 3 files:

  • Students' Association correspondence, 1976
  • Students’ Association constitution, 1981-1982
  • Students’ Association publications, 1988

The Students' Association was formed to represent through its Council, the students of the college, to promote their interests, to look after their welfare, and to be the recognised channel of communication between them and the College authorities; to promote social, cultural and athletic activities among the students of the College, and to run a Union as a club for students. All full-time matriculated students were members and it was governed by Student Representative Council members elected by ballot from among the members of the Association.

Students' Union

This series consists of 6 sub-series:

  • Minutes of the Students’ Union Committee, 1919-1929
  • Meetings and correspondence of the Students’ Union, 1920-1952
  • Publications of the Students’ Union, 1921-1946
  • Students’ Welfare Scheme, 1925-1946
  • Finances of the Students’ Union, 1930-1976
  • Constitution and rules of the Students’ Union, 1943-1944

The Glasgow College of Domestic Science Students' Union was initiated in 1919. Its aim was to keep the College in touch with educational and scientific progress through subject-specialist guest lectures; to promote a healthy tone and esprit de corps among the students by making the College part of their social life; to keep in close touch with former students. Membership was open to staff and students of the College on payment of an annual subscription fee.

Queen’s College Glasgow Enterprises Ltd

This series consists of 2 files:

  • Minutes of meetings of Queen's College Glasgow (QCG) Enterprises Ltd, 1987-1992
  • Managing Director’s reports of Queen's College Glasgow (QCG) Enterprises Ltd, 1989-1993

Queen’s College Glasgow Enterprises Ltd was established in 1987 following a feasibility study by Coopers and Lybrand. It was formed with a loan from the College Endowment Funds and was established to generate income which would be used to help support the work of the College. The Directors were either members of the Governing Body or staff of the College. The bulk of its income came from work for the Training Agency and also from other courses run by the company and consultancy work.

Glasgow Cookery Book

This series consists of 4 files:

  • Editions of the Glasgow Cookery Book, 1910-2009
  • Correspondence regarding the Glasgow Cookery Book, 1950-1952
  • Financial correspondence and accounts for the Glasgow Cookery Book, 1952-1972
  • Correspondence regarding the Glasgow Cookery Book, 1972-1988

The first Glasgow Cookery Book was published in 1910 under the direction of Ella Glaister, first Principal of the College. The book was originally intended for use by students in their training and was compiled from recipes which had been perfected over the years by the College’s parent cookery schools. In time, the cookery book was made available for public sale and its popularity increased so much that the Glasgow Cookery Book became a household name. The first to thirteenth editions were published by N Adshead and Son, Glasgow. Further revised editions from 1951 onward were published by John Smith and Son (Glasgow) Ltd. These editions include a revised metric edition published for the College Centenary in 1975 under the name of the Queen’s College, Glasgow. In 2009 a centenary edition with a history of the book and the College was published by Waverley Books, Glasgow to celebrate 100 years of the publication of the book.

Results 1 to 50 of 133