Showing 133 results

titles
Series
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Electrical Association for Women (EAW)

This series consists of 1 file:

  • Electrical Association for Women Summer School of Electrical Housecraft, Glasgow, 1937

The Electrical Association for Women (EAW) was founded in London in 1924 with the aim of helping women to adopt electric power in the household. The College had a close relationship with the EAW, especially in the early days of electricity in the kitchen and Diploma students had to take a course covering the work of the EAW Certificate examinations. The third EAW summer school was held in the College from 26 to 31 August 1937. On November 1986 a special lunch was held for EAW Members in the College’s Hotel Restaurant when the Association was discontinued.

Principal (1947-1962) : Isobel Gibson, papers

This series consists of 4 sub-series:

  • Grahame Reid, Secretary and Treasurer, correspondence with Isobel Gibson, 1947-1962
  • Scottish Education Department, correspondence with Isobel Gibson, 1948-1962
  • General correspondence with Isobel Gibson, 1956-1963
  • Committee of Correspondence membership, 1962-1968

Catering, Hospitality and Institution Management and related courses

This series consists of 5 sub-series:

  • Consumer, Hospitality Management, Food Product Development and Consumer and Business Services courses, 1991-1992
  • Consumer, Business and Catering Management courses, 1980-1981
  • Consumer studies courses, 1991
  • Faculty of Management Studies student work experience, 1992
  • Faculty of Management Studies student reports, 1987-1992

Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) and consultancy

This series consists of 5 files:

  • Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1981-1983
  • Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1984
  • Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1985
  • Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1986
  • Correspondence on the Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) kept by Henry Rose, 1987-1990

The Ethnic Minority Small Business Centre (EMSBC) aimed to use its experience from working with the local Asian community to offer ethnic minority groups appropriate business training and information to help them set up small businesses with translation facilities and bi-lingual staff. It would help improve the effectiveness of existing businesses as well as supporting new companies. A Steering Group consisting of representatives from the Pakistani, Indian, Chinese, and Afro Caribbean communities was set up. The centre was launched in May 1985 and Jonathan Emanuwa was appointed as Director of the centre in October 1985. The centre was funded through various sources including private donations, Levi Strauss, Glasgow District Council, Community Projects Foundation, European Rural Development Fund grants, Commission for Racial Equality funding. It became a Company Limited by Guarantee in February 1987 and ceased trading in September 1990.

Association of Community Enterprises in the Highlands and Islands (ACE-HI) annual reviews and newsletters

This series consists of 2 files:

  • Annual reviews of the Association of Community Enterprises in the Highlands and Islands (ACE-HI), 1988-1990
  • Newsletters of the Association of Community Enterprises in the Highlands and Islands (ACE-HI), 1985-1988

The Association of Community Enterprises in the Highlands and Islands (ACE-HI) was established in 1986 to provide support for community enterprises. It offered help and advice and sharing skills and knowledge for community co-operatives and community businesses across the region.

Catering silverware

This series consists of 15 files:

  • Tea/coffee service engraved 'GCDS Students Union', mid 20th century
  • Tea/coffee service engraved 'C D S' in plain capitals, mid 20th century
  • Tea/coffee service engraved 'CDS' in gothic style capitals, mid 20th century
  • Small tea set engraved 'CDS' in plain capitals, 1948
  • Non-engraved tea/coffee service, mid 20th century
  • Serving tray, mid 20th century
  • Toast racks, mid 20th century
  • Oval serving dishes, mid 20th century
  • Round serving dishes, mid 20th century
  • Square serving dishes, c1930-1952
  • Oval serving plates, mid 20th century
  • Gravy boat, mid 20th century
  • Butter dish, mid 20th century
  • Serving spoons, mid 20th century
  • Wine stand, mid 20th century

All items are silver-plated unless otherwise stated.

Central academic services

This series consists of 1 sub-series:

  • Library services, 1952-1993

See also minutes, papers and correspondence in the Central Academic Services Committee series, reference QC/1/4/4. Central Academic Services also included Technical services but there is no surviving material from this service except the minutes of the Technical committee meetings found in the Governing Body and appointed committees series, reference QC/1/2.

Child abuse reports, studies and enquiries

This series consists of 5 files:

  • Richard Clark child abuse inquiry related papers, 1974-1975
  • RSSPCC Overnewton Centre reports and related correspondence, 1978-1987
  • General child abuse related reports and studies, 1981-1987
  • Orkney child abuse inquiry related reports, articles and briefing papers, 1991-1992
  • Orkney child abuse inquiry newspaper cuttings, 1991-1992

Elderly care studies

This series consists of 1 file:

  • Background papers for proposed research on care of elderly adults in Ardnamurchan, 1987-1989

Gibson Hall building, opening and inventories

This series consists of 2 sub-series:

  • Planning, building and opening of Gibson Hall, 1958-1969
  • Inventories for Gibson Hall, 1958-1972

Gibson Hall was named after Isobel Gibson, College Principal (1947-1962), in honour of her role in instigating the new halls of residence. The hall was built in Dorchester Avenue on a site close to the College hockey pitch and tennis courts. It was designed by Monro and Partners, Architects, Glasgow, and consisted of an administrative block with common rooms, library, dining room and roll-up carpeting for dances; and 2 bedroom blocks with accommodation for 120 students. It was first occupied in September 1967 and officially opened by HRH Queen Elizabeth II on 5 July 1968.

Southbrae campus development and opening

This series consists of 2 sub-series:

  • Southbrae campus development and expenditure, c1987-1990
  • Formal opening of the Southbrae Campus, Faculty of Health Studies, by HRH Princess of Wales on 13 December 1991, 1991-1992

The College had planned to house its expanding health care courses in a new development on Eldon Street, creating a single site campus around the existing Park Drive building. In 1987 the Scottish Education Department carried out a feasibility study to consider the extent to which vacant accommodation at Jordanhill College of Education could meet the needs of the Health Studies faculty. In 1988 the Scottish Office decided that the new health care courses should be housed at Jordanhill and so the Southbrae Campus was initiated.

The Schools of Radiography and Chiropody took up occupation of the Crawfurd Building at the Southbrae Campus in January 1991, the School of Occupational Therapy in February 1991 and the School of Orthoptics in March 1991. The Faculty of Health Studies at the Crawfurd Building, was officially inaugurated on Friday 13 December 1991 by Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales who unveiled the commemorative plaque.

Project workshop programmes and outputs

This file consists of 4 files:

  • Glasgow Caledonian University Research Day, 31 May 2019, proposals, programme and activities, May 2019
  • Introduction to social enterprise workshop programme, December 2019
  • Mapping community co-operatives workshop, 22 January 2020, programme and resources, January 2020
  • Offering material to the Social Enterprise Collection (Scotland), 28 January 2020, programme and resources, January 2020

International Federation for Home Economics

This series consists of 5 sub-series:

  • Eighth International Congress on Home Economics, Edinburgh, Scotland, 1953
  • Ninth International Congress on Home Economics, Maryland, USA, 1958
  • Tenth International Congress on Home Economics, Paris, France, 1963
  • Eleventh International Congress on Home Economics, Bristol, England, 1968
  • International Federation for Home Economics publications, 1972

The 1st International Congress on Home Economics was held in Fribourg, Switzerland, in October 1908. It was attended by 750 delegates, representing 20 countries, who had all come together to share knowledge and experience in the field of Home Economics, and look at the development and promotion of training for its teachers. It was very successful in enabling the exchange of ideas between nations and led to the International Federation for Home Economics (IFHE) being founded during the Congress. Subsequent International Congresses were held every four, or more, years. Isobel Gibson, Principal of the Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science (GWSCDS), became its acting President in 1958, and then elected President from 1959 to 1963.

Principal (1976-1991) : Geoffrey Richardson, papers

This series consists of 7 sub-series:

  • General correspondence of Geoffrey Richardson, 1977-1991
  • Scottish Education Department correspondence and forms, 1976-1990
  • Scottish Vocational Education Council (SCOTVEC) and related correspondence, 1979-1991
  • Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA) correspondence and reports, 1980-1991
  • Principal's reports on activities of the College, 1977-1989
  • External committees, 1981-1987
  • Academic reports, publications and textbooks by Geoffrey Richardson, 1973-1990

Secretary and Treasurer (1969-1989) : Henry F A Rose, papers

This series consists of 4 sub-series:

  • Scottish Education Department general correspondence, 1974-1990
  • Scottish Education Department HMI inspection visits, 1984-1990
  • Scottish Education Department regulations and surveys, 1986-1990
  • Scottish teachers conditions of service memos and committees, 1967-1987

Social Work courses

This series consists of 9 sub-series:

  • Social Work course proposals, 1976-1991
  • Three year course for Mature Entrants with Family Commitments, 1980-1993
  • Postgraduate Social Work course, 1980-1990
  • Social Work practice placements, 1981-1990
  • Monitoring , evaluation and review of Social Work courses, 1980-1983
  • Course administration and School of Social Work development, 1977-1993
  • Social work teaching facilities and tools, 1980-1989
  • Social Work bodies' correspondence and meeting papers, 1978-1989
  • Council Social Work departments’ correspondence and meetings, 1978-1987

Academic Council and standing committees

This series consists of 8 sub-series:

  • Operational handbooks, 1980-1991
  • Academic Council minutes, 1982-1992
  • Course Development Committee, 1980-1990
  • Central Academic Services Committee, 1982-1991
  • Research and Staff Development Committee, 1985-1993
  • Academic and Professional Standards Committee, 1990-1992
  • Course Leaders meetings, 1981-1986
  • Health and Safety at Work Committee, 1979-1989

Community Economic Development Ltd (CED) records

This series consists of 3 sub-series:

  • Board of Directors' meetings, statutory documents and correspondence of CED, 1988-1991
  • CED membership records, 1991
  • Consultancy proposals and reports by CED, c1989-1990

Community Economic Development Ltd (CED) was set up as a sister company to CBS Ltd when it was incorporated in 1987. CED was established to provide a specialist consultancy, information and advisory service in all aspects of enterprise development and employment creation. It carried out research, wrote and published periodicals and books, devised and delivered training courses as well as carrying out consultancy work. CED was registered in Scotland, no. 104651, and only Directors of CBS could become members and directors of CED. In May 1988 CBS published a five year strategy which identified 14 objectives for CBS. Some of these objectives were condensed into six topics which were included in a brief for consultancy study. In December 1988 the SDA agreed to contract CED to investigate and develop the topics on behalf of CBS. CED appointed, Alan Kay, as a full-time research and development worker to work with advisors in working parties for each of the six topics. The study commenced on 12 December 1988 and was completed on 11 December 1989.

Strathclyde Community Business Ltd (SCB) reports and training materials

This series consists of 2 files:

  • Annual reports and strategy documents of Strathclyde Community Business Ltd, 1985-1990
  • Training materials of Strathclyde Community Business Ltd, 1986-1990

Strathclyde Community Business Ltd (SCB) was set up in 1984 by Strathclyde Regional Council, the Scottish Development Agency and Glasgow District Council (along with eleven other district councils in the region). Its aim was to streamline development, training and financial support for community businesses. It was an independent company limited by guarantee with charitable status. Its board of directors included representatives from its public sector funders, the community business movement and the private sector. It had a finance and administration team and a training resources team at its headquarters at Six Harmony Row, Govan, Glasgow. In 1995 SCB became Community Enterprise in Strathclyde with a new focus on project development and contract work.

Results 1 to 50 of 133