- 1903 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The West End School of Cookery, Glasgow, Scotland, was founded in 1878 and opened to the public on 29 October of that year. In 1908, the School amalgamated with the Glasgow School of Cookery to form a Scottish central institution under the title the Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science (Incorporated), later named The Queen’s College, Glasgow.
The founder of the West End School of Cookery was Margaret Black (1830-1903), who had been a teacher at the Glasgow School of Cookery and left in 1878 to open her own school. When Margaret Black died in March 1903 she was succeeded as Principal by her niece, Mary McKirdy (1874-1957).
The School’s first premises were in the Corporation Galleries at 2 Dalhousie Street, Glasgow. Initially the School provided private classes in cookery and although it had been running classes in Glasgow and Govan Board Schools, it was not until 1885 that the Scotch Education Department recognised it as a teacher training centre. In September 1903 the school moved to larger premises at 346 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, and also at 1 Scott Street, Glasgow. The subjects taught at the School were extended and by 1905 teachers’ diploma courses were being offered in cookery, housewifery and laundry, along with certificates to housewives, housekeepers and cooks. Prior to amalgamation in 1908 the School was known as the West End Training School of Cookery and employed 5 teachers.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Handwritten list with student names and their results for laundry examinations