GB 1847 QC/2/1/1/4
Miscellaneous correspondence, notes and reports kept by Dorothy Melvin
- 1919-1948 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This file contains 1 folder:
- Letter from E Hamilton to Miss MacKirdy regarding request to supervise during an examination, 17 June 1909
- Letters of enquiry regarding students of the West End School of Cookery, 7 October 1911 and April 1925
- National Council for Domestic Studies First Annual Report, 24 October 1919
- Programme for the Edinburgh School of Cookery and Domestic Economy jubilee exhibition of students' work on 12 March 1925
- Programme of the 'Educational Institute of Scotland, Annual Congress, Glasgow, December 1925'
- Handwritten letters from staff and students to Miss Melvin, 1925-1927
- Handwritten list of people and their addresses, for the College VAD, 1928
- Programme of the Scottish Federation of Societies, 'Tenth autumn week-end school' on 'Women's work and opportunities in the twentieth century', held at Glasgow University on 3-6 October 1930; handwritten notes of Miss Melvin who spoke at the event.
- Typescript copies of scottish recipes
- Memorandum for Special Committee of Advisory Council on Education in Scotland re technical education outwith the Universities, c1945
- 'Elma and Helen Story - A recollection by GER Young', 1948
- Memorandum by the Convener of the Property and Finance committee in certain propositions connected with the College, May 1934
- 'Meat Research Report', Osborne-Peacock Co Ltd., Research Department, Glasgow, 1936
- 'Womens International News', Vol 35 No. 6, April 1941
- Typescript list on College headed paper 'Foods from which vitamins should be secured'
- College leaflet 'Muirhead scholarships in dietetics'
- Typescript copy of newspaper cutting, 'Meal in a pill: Doctor's wonder extract from cotton seed', June 1935
- 'Memorandum regarding request by the Scottish Education Department that the College should undertake another course for the training of canteen cooks and in addition should undertake a course for the training of cooks for the school meals service'
- Memoranda regarding meeting with the Advisory Council for Education in Scotland and Bursaries, December 1943
- 2 printed business envelopes: from James C Morgan, press and commercial photographer, Glasgow (with red one penny stamp, 1931); from John Swain and Son Ltd, photo-engravers, Glasgow.
- 2 comical pencil sketches: 1 titled 'simple household repairs' drawn on the back of a business card for Douglas Hewat with '27.7.26 Cadora' handwritten in pen; 1 titled 'preparing scrambled egg in a modern kitchen' drawn on the back of a Rotary Club menu dated 27.7.26
- Letter from Clementine Churchill, 10 Downing Street, London, expressing thanks for a contribution to her 'Aid to Russia' Fund, December 1941
- Handwritten toast list for an Edinburgh College of Domestic Science Old Students' Guild event with Miss Melvin, OBE, JP, as guest speaker
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Some handwriting is difficult to read.